HOMEMADE CHICKEN SOUP
1 Chicken cut into pieces (discard the packet with giblet's)
1 large yellow onion skinned and cut in quarters
6 carrots skinned and cut in half
Leafy top part of 1 bunch of celery (cut the top 5" off the celery stalks)
6 stems of fresh dill and parsley tied together with cotton string (this is your Herb packet)
1 32 oz box of College Inn Chicken Stock
1 bag 12oz. of Egg noodles of your choice
In a large stock pot:
1. Put rinsed chicken on bottom of pot
2. Add onion,carrots,celery on top
3. Cover this with cold water and box of chicken stock
4. Place Herb packet on top
5.Cover and cook over medium flame
6.When this begins to boil, lower the heat to a simmer and skim off the top any foam that has appeared.
7.Simmer for 2 hours over low heat.
8. With tongs remove and discard the Herb packet
9.Place a strainer over another large pot and place chicken pieces and carrots in strainer and let broth drain off of them, Reserve these pieces on a plate. They will eventually be returned to the broth. Put broth that drained off these pieces back into original stock pot.
9.Now drain the original broth through the strainer into a clean large pot. Discard all the residue, onions,celery that is left in the strainer.
10. Cut carrots into slices and place in the pot with the strained broth.
11. Take skin off chicken and cut into pieces. Place the chicken pieces you want in the broth. You can make chicken salad with any chicken that you don't wnat to use in the soup.
12. Salt and pepper the broth mixture to taste and place covered in the refrigerator overnight. As the broth chills the fat will rise to the top and harden. Remove this hard fat with a spoon and return the broth to the stove and reheat and season to taste.
13. In separate pot boil salted water for the bag of egg noodles of your choice.Follow directions for this on the bag. Cook noodles and drain
14. Place 1 cup of noodles in a bowl and ladle in the hot broth with carrots and chicken.
15. Garnish with clipped fresh dill.
16. Enjoy your homemade soup with a salad and sliced french bread.
Post a Comment